Sunday, December 8, 2013

Happy Memories- Day 1 of Write Tribe Festival of Words





  Today's Theme: Memory/Memories

Memories are amazing because they have the power to transfer a person to a much happier state than he is in currently. But some memories can also cause an ache in heart, a deep sense of loss and can bring about unbearable pain and misery. But we are going to avoid talking about such memories because I want this to be a happy-wala post, so I’m only going to talk about those memories that flashes every now and then in my mind, much like a camera flash going off and illuminating those moments of my life, and brings about a smile on my lips.

My earliest memories are those in which I have some hazy recollections of my father. I was only 4 when he passed away, so almost all my memories of him are vague. But I do remember this incident where he and I were spending some time in the underground garage of our house and I was laughing merrily. I don’t remember the reason why I was laughing so hard but every time I fall back on that memory a warm feeling envelops my heart. There are only a few handful of memories of my father but this one (that I had blogged previously) is the strongest that I have and I’ll never forget the invaluable lessons that he taught me, by being the exemplary person that he was.

Most of my happy memories are from my childhood. I have this fortunate gift to filter out all bad memories and keep only the good ones. So I have loads of happy memories from my childhood, especially during the summer holidays when my cousins from different cities would come to stay in our ancestral house and we used to have fun filled days. My ancestral house is in a village and there were vast rice fields that we had at our disposal to use as our playground. We used to play badminton, cricket and when we found the heat unbearable, we used to collect pennies and buy ice popsicles. I remember that I was so busy having fun that some days I never used to take a bath and only when my aunt smelled something “horrible”, I would be forced to have my bath. Those were some wonderful days indeed! Even as I type about my memories from my childhood days, I have a smile on my lips.

I also have some pleasant memories from my college days when I used to have so many crushes that my friends often teased me that they had a difficult time keeping track of my crushes. The four years of my engineering college was unforgettable, and the friends that I made there will always remain special. Most of the afternoons were spent at the Coffee shop eating Maggi noodles and then after the few hours spent in library watching the couples there having their “private” moments , we would be travelling back home. Yes, we were quite shameless then but in hindsight I wish that I had studied a little more during those days. I was quite studious in my Plus 2 days, the proof of which, I can proudly say that I had secured a glorious 99 marks (out of 100) in my Plus 2 Maths exam. But in Engineering college, my enthusiasm for studies went down drastically, and the proof of which is my deplorable 35 marks (Just Pass marks, if you must know) in my 1st semester of Engineering. But still I had so much fun in college that those memories would last me a lifetime.

And then there are some beautiful memories of my daughter during the first few days, her first smile, her first words, the day she sat up without any support, the day she first called me Amma, but I become very emotional when I recall them. In fact she’s still growing and every day she learns something new and keeps us enthralled by her antics. I’m sure the moments I spend with her laughing and playing will create more happy memories for tomorrow.

Although this post was supposed to be all happy memories, my eyes were misty as I recalled them. A part of the reason maybe because I was hearing this beautiful ‘O Kabira’ song when typing it. Here, listen to it and let me know if it didn’t make you nostalgic as well.



I am taking part in The Write Tribe Festival of Words 8th – 14th December 2013. 

19 comments:

  1. Love the post. Especially love the song. And even more admire your ability to filter out all the negative and sad memories and keep only the good ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nica post... i could relate to most of the childhood memories of yours....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Childhood days are the best memories that we possess :)

      Delete
  3. happy memories make me misty eyed too...miss those carefree childhood days :) sometimes memories are all we are left with, in come cases. thanks for sharing yours. all the best for the festival :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Often truly happy memories can cause your eyes to water with emotion just as much as the painful. It is overwhelming emotion and you just have to go with it. I love hearing your vivid memories and learning to know you more through them! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy :) That's the best part of the Write Tribe festival. I've been discovering some awesome and wonderful bloggers :)

      Delete
  5. This happens very often to me too. I get misty eyed thinking about the past. And I ,like you ,have learnt to remove the bad memories and block them. Moving ahead becomes difficult otherwise. This is a very nostalgic post and so is the song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was beautiful and heart warming! :)
    Thank you for sharing your precious memories with us!

    Hopped on over from Write Tribe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely post, it feels so good to be able to have so many good memories...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Seeta, good memories are like soothing balm on those bad days :)

      Delete
  8. Remembering the past makes us joyful and sad at the same time. Thanks for sharing your childhood memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very touching memories!
    These kinds of happiness lasts a lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's the power of memories..they make u teary eyed!! lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. *hugs* your daughter is growing sweetie but only with more memories :-) And well people who depart are always there in our hearts and memories for life...

    Richa

    ReplyDelete